Seriously

March 24, 2010



A couple days ago, Gaia and I were talking about how we are the ever-giving creatures, to the point of our own destruction. I exaggerate when I say "destruction", but he said he'll skip class to help someone shoot something, or go here and help someone with that.. etc, any kind gesture, even if it means skipping out on ones own obligations. And sometimes, it's tiresome/we get our feelings hurt when the gesture isn't returned. I don't think either of are asking for favors or expecting favors when we help someone out, but it does not go unnoticed when kindness isn't returned.

I told him that to be this kind of person means to understand that not everyone is this way, nor do people know how to act this way. "This way" meaning an ever-giving person. I can remember writing about this sort of instance years ago, saying how my Dad thought that I should stop giving so much. Be selfish every once in a while, or Be more selfish, because in the end, you're the one that's going to get hurt. But I don't look at other peoples selfishness, my selflessness, as a detriment to me, but more the difference between you and I.

It sounds like I'm am putting on a holier-than-thou attitude and that's not it at all. I just think to "kill 'em with kindness" means to also tolerate most peoples unkindness, rather than being hurt by it.