Bleekend

June 10, 2011


This is what tired looks like
Jake left this deer in my room. He sleeps on top of me and keeps me company at night. He is my dear deer and I shall call him Dear.
- - -

Beau and I saw Woody Allen's new film Midnight in Paris which is the story of my life: nose deep in biographies and WWII novels and longing for what once was. We also saw The Normal Heart on Broadway which was gut-wrenching. Though sometimes, a good cry like that is needed.

The Normal Heart takes place during the AIDS epidemic in the 80s, though back then it wasn't called AIDS yet. I think we often forget how new HIV/AIDS is. The rate at which gay men were dying all across the country were well into the thousands in just a few years and the play makes you very aware of that, with the walls of the theatre projected with name-after-name of men who died. After the play, a letter written by Larry Kramer is passed out as audience members walk out. As if the heart-breaking story of a lovers' corpse being thrown into a dumpster isn't enough, Kramer wants you to "please know" that everything in the play is true. That reality is so hard to face.

What was also difficult was seeing 60/70-year old men in the audience in tears because these stories hit too close to home--whether they were sick themselves or lost friends during that time, because any survivor knew at least a dozen victims. I mean, I can go on and on, but I won't.

This week around the web pertaining to:

Thirty years later, we're still fighting AIDS.

Gay rights an issue in Africa.

Gwyn sends out a newsletter questioning the Bible's stance.

- - -

From the web:

Rooney Mara's boobs for Dragon Tattoo poster.

No Doubt is back!

Caffeine = hallucinations. I knew I wasn't crazy.

Matthew McConaughey's penis silhouette.

The Rise and Fall of Tower Records.

Los Angeles! Don't miss the Hero Complex Film Festival this weekend.

- - -

In every single aspect, I made you who you are.