Cat Whisperer

September 29, 2010

The Dude and I were walking back from Turps last night and we noticed Mittens (the health food store cat) wandering around outside. Ok Natural was already closed and Mittens was not inside, so I assumed he got locked out. I called Jon, who was working a few hours before, and left him a message AND called the number on his tag. An hour of hanging out with Mittens outside.. and nothing. I knew that one of the guys that work at OK lived in the building so I left a note with my number, saying that I was going to take Mittens in and to call me anytime before 1am. Mittens kept going up to the door, staring inside, scratching at the door, and meowing. Poor thing.



So I let the damn cat into my apartment for fear that he'd wander too far or go into the street. He loves being outside and usually always comes back to the door, but it was windy and cold and dark and I felt uneasy about leaving him on the sidewalk. He spent half an hour exploring and creeping around everywhere. I made him a plush bed-type setup that he'd knead and purr on, which was pretty sexy. After a while, he got bored and cried to be let outside. By this time, it's 11pm and I'm getting ready to go to sleep. I wasn't going to let him cry all night because he was trapped in a strange place, so I let him out. He kept coming back to the door but didn't want to come in. I'd go back, he's still there. Sometimes he'd come in, sometimes he'd just pop his head in. I came to terms with the fact that he was going to be outside for the night.

The Dude bought him cat food thinking he might be hungry, and on his way back to my apartment he heard meowing. Assuming it was Mittens, he followed the noise. Lo and behold, it's another freakin' cat. A kitten!



We gave him one of the cans of food which it scarfed down. I was scared that it was going to blow up or something. Mittens was curious or being a jerk or something, but he kept inching closer and closer while the black kitten hissed and made another strange noise. There was nothing I can do for the little kitten because it wouldn't come near us so I let it be.



At the end of the night, Jon got back to me and let Mittens in. If I saw one more cat, I was going to go crazy. It was such a strange night.