Ricotta pancakes

November 17, 2010



I try and do pancakes on Sundays for The Dude and I and this week I made ricotta pancakes. The recipe is from a Nigella book that I have but I add vanilla and chocolate chips per The Dude's request. Make this for someone you love. I.. love myself. So I make it for me all the time :)





RICOTTA PANCAKES

9 oz. ricotta cheese
1/2 cup skim milk
2 eggs, separated
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
pinch salt
chocolate chips

Mix flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.

Mix the ricotta, milk, egg yolks, and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients.

Whisk the eggs whites until frothy. It doesn't have to reach soft peaks or anything, just until it's bubbly. Fold the whites into the batter.

Heat a pan with some oil or butter. Maybe 6 minutes on the first side and 2 on the second? Sprinkle with 5 or 6 chocolate chips right after you pour the batter.

Eat!

Tammy's notes: For some reason, these pancakes are good at this size--small. They're about 2 1/2 inches in diameter so four pancakes fit perfectly in a fairly large pan. Maybe it's the richness of the ricotta but they kind of have to be small. And I think they cook better, too. And make sure to use real maple syrup. Nothing that comes with someone's face on the bottle.. or a picture of a pancake..

Also, if you're not doing chocolate chips, I don't think you'll need the vanilla. It's The Best with fresh strawberries and a giant cup of coffee.