Happy Halloween

October 29, 2010



Have a safe weekend everyone! I've been so busy with school/work I haven't even had time to think of a costume. I'm thinking, if the weather permits, I can wear my American Apparel batwing hoodie and make some bat ears and go as a.. BAT!

The Dude and I are on our way to New York. I am going to hang out with my darling Beau and maybe surprise this guy and The Dude is going to the Red Bull jam in Brooklyn.

Here's a really simple sugar cookie recipe if you want some last minute festive treats. I wrote some notes at the end as words of encouragement :) Happy Halloween!



SUGAR COOKIES

3 cups flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon milk
powdered sugar for rolling and icing

Preheat the oven to 350

Mix dry ingredients

Cream butter and sugar. Add egg and milk.

Slowly add dry ingredients 'til well incorporated. Don't overmix!

Smudge into a round disc and cover in cling film. Chill for 2 hours.

Rolling:
Let the dough rest out of the fridge for 15 minutes before you start rolling.

Roll to desired thickness, about 1/4 inch.

Cut out shapes.

Put on parchment paper (because this dough will stick!)

Bake for 9 minutes or 'til golden brown along the edges.

Icing:
Mix powdered sugar and the tiniest drop of milk. Add coloring (I use gel) and go for it!

For the "black", I melted some dark chocolate.

Tammy's notes:
I halved the recipe because there's no way I need almost 3 dozen cookies. Or you can keep half of the dough in the fridge to keep for a later time. Also, don't be afraid to make the jack-o-lanterns look silly. If I've learned anything from Nigella, it's that food shouldn't be pristinely perfect. There's a charm about the obviously homemade factor.

Recipe from Alton Brown