Chocolate Almond Biscotti

December 08, 2010



Biscotti is my favorite baked good. Hands down. This is a recipe I put together using different aspects of other recipes to make my version of a favorite. It's going to stay soft in the middle and have the perfect crispiness around the edges.



CHOCOLATE ALMOND BISCOTTI

2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 stick butter, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup almonds
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven 350

Mix flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.

Cream butter and sugar 'til fluffy. Add eggs and almond extract. Mix until incorporated. Add dry ingredients.

Fold in almonds and chocolate chips.

Form dough into (approximately) 6 inch by 12 inch square and place on parchment lined cookie sheet.

Bake 25 minutes.

Let the biscotti cool for 15 minutes before slicing into the classic biscotti shape.

Put the sliced cookies onto cookie sheet and bake for 12 minutes.

Tammy's notes: As I've stated before, my oven has a mind of its own and recipes I follow always have to be altered (temperature and time) because my oven is so hot. So if your biscotti log doesn't look ready to come out just yet, leave it in. How do you tell? Hm.. it's going to be a light golden brown all around and firm to the touch.

Also, give the almonds a little toast in a dry pan to give the biscotti a nuttier almond flavor. I find that extract gives it a fruity zing, more than a nutty flavor.